Thursday, August 27, 2009

Humility...or lack thereof

There's this guy that comes to Groovy on a fairly regular basis...a real music fan. A partial list of his recent purchases would include Beatles, Mastodon, Matisyahu and Sly and His Stoned Family...nice, great variety. Anyway, Ringo (not his real name, but a nod to the luckiest drummer in the world) and I always manage to get into discussions that range from music to metaphysics to current world events. His last visit was no different. After covering our usual globe-spanning range of topics, he began to explain his tendency to keep religion, especially Christianity, at a reasonably-safe arm's length. It was, he surmised, due to his lack of humility. Humility.


This caught me slightly unawares. I'm always up for a good debate, and usually it's "oh you Christians are a bunch of hypocrites", to which I reply..."Yep!, that's why we need Jesus". Or "you can't prove God exists" to which I reply "and you can't prove he doesn't, so we're both operating out of faith"...things like that. But I've yet to encounter anyone honest enough to actually admit to being too selfish, too self-centered, to self-dependent, too independent to need a God, much less a Savior.

Somehow, I found this refreshing. Truth be told, I battle with that as well. I think we all do, to some degree. In my case, however, it tends to drive me closer to a God who is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. Takes a little pressure off....feel me?

Anyway, can't wait for the next convo...ought to be scintillating.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

What's Up With That Guy?

Remarkably content. Insatiably curious. Unquestionably obnoxious. Deal with it.

Text

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.